Subscribe to my full feed.

10.30.2007

The Ohio State dilemma-Zippy or Brutus?


You were raised in Ohio - more than likely rooted for the Buckeyes as a youth. Then, you graduate high school and then go to a college that’s not Ohio State! Even worse, you go to a Divison I school that’s in the state of Ohio. So what happens when the school you attended plays the Buckeyes?

That’s the position many Mid-American fans are put in whether you are from Ohio and dealing with Ohio State, Michigan and dealing with, well Michigan or Michigan State. I'm not sure if the same dilemma impacts MAC fans in Illinois, Indiana, PA or New York. I know that in my state, it's a major issue.

MAC Inferiority Complex

It didn't take long for the smack to start the week Akron played Ohio State.

One Buckeye fan posted a welcome to Zips fans on the Akron fan site, Zipsnation.org. He wrote:

“Just wanted to stop by to say welcome to the shoe and here’s to a well played injury free game. I do not know a lot about your team. What do you consider to greatest strengths? Weaknesses?

The poor guy was slayed. I already know what Zip fans are thinking. What, we’re suppose to know what “the shoe” is? You don’t know a lot about our team — but we’re suppose to know everything about the storied Buckeyes.” What would happen if we posted on the Buckeye forum, “Welcome to the Bowl.” Would Buckeye fans know what that means?

Playing a Big 10(11) team always seems to get into a discussion about the inferiority complex of MAC fans. I’ve lived it. I’m tired of it.

No one has fought this fight more than I. While attending the Akron-Ohio State NIT game at St. John Arena in 1989, I got into a verbal joust with a Buckeye fan, who, seeing my Akron gear came up to ask, “Are they the Akron….Zips?”

I shot right back, “Is this Ohio State, home of the condescending A-holes?” (except I didn’t say A-hole)

I went to Akron in the Division II days. Now that we have climbed the ranks to D-I in all sports, I asked myself, why should I be an Ohio State fan? My school is technically on the same level. And it is MY school.

Enough time has passed since I started thinking this way that I have an emotional disconnect with Ohio State. I really don’t care if they win or lose - even to Michigan! However, I’ve been rethinking that lately.

Since Jim Tressel became head Buckeye coach, I’ve really tried to get behind Ohio State. I respect Tressel - know him from the many years he spent beating us at Youngstown State. In addition, he holds sheepskin from The University of Akron, earning his Master’s Degree while he was an assistant under Jim Dennison - another man to be respected.

So, that should be enough to be an OSU fan - right? But what happens if Tressel leaves or retires? Pretty thin reason to follow a university’s football team.

The Solution?

Here’s where I’m currently at with this conundrum - I think. As an Akron and MAC fan, I always root for a MAC team when they play out of conference. I even rooted for Kent State over Iowa State (sorry). So, when Ohio State is playing in the Big Ten or another out of state team, I shall root for the Buckeyes. However, if they’re playing a MAC school, my allegiance lies with the conference.

Now, this doesn’t mean that I’m going to go out and buy up all the Ohio State gear I can find (I would like a Woody hat, but don’t think I could wear it in public - yet).

This is going to have to grow on me and maybe I can still be talked out of it. Until then, I’m hoping to find peace with the Ohio State dilemma, but it has taken a long time to get here.

1 comments:

GMoney said...

This iss one thing that pisses me off so much. When I attend Miami games and they announce the OSU score, the students will cheer. WHY!!! You don't go there. If you got into Miami, you could've easily gotten into OSU. You chose not to go there. Take some fucking pride in your school. You are NOT a Buckeye. You are a Redhawk (or Flash or Zip or Falcon, etc.). Rant over.